QGIS Welcome Page

Whenever you start QGIS you basically do it because?

Right, because you need to do GIS work. Ah, how I love rhetorical questions to start a post.

And most of the time one continues to work on a QGIS project which he has prepared before. For me 99% of the time, I start QGIS, move the mouse to the top left over “Project” go to “Recent Projects” and select the one I want. If I am lucky my hand is stable enough to hover “Recent Projects” and not “New From Template” which I actually never use.

No longer!

At OPENGIS.ch we just introduced a nice “Welcome Page” to QGIS which lists the recently used projects. With a screenshot next to it!

That’s how my QGIS looks at start right now:

Screenshot from 2015-08-18 21-01-13

Instead of the filename it will show the project title if one is defined.

And you get some recent information about the QGIS project just next to it.

I would never want to miss this feature again.

… Coming soon to a QGIS near you …

Tagged with:
Posted in QGIS
13 Comments » for QGIS Welcome Page
  1. Stefan says:

Nice feature. That’s the power of open source SW to follow closely the needs of the users.

BTW: Can you point to some explanations what QGIS project templates are and how they can be generated?

2. Kostas says:

Hello Matthias,
    Thanks for you amazing work.
    I got one question for you regarding this welcome page feature. How would the project screenshot affect the loading speed of qgis?
    If there is a way, the most optimal (I think) would be to create a small snapshot every time the project is closing and then the software could use this snapshot, instead of creating a new snapshot every time qgis is loading.

3. Nelson Silva says:

Nice work Matthias 🙂
    You will share a small explanatory tutorial?

Regards

4. Matthias Kuhn says:

Hi Kostas, that’s exactly how it works, whenever you save the project a sample from the mapcanvas is taken. No extra rendering, no performance penalty.

5. Nice! first use here on osgeo4w nightly. Couldn’t find a way to close the panel, and QGIS news and recent Project remain empty even after opening a project and reopening QGIS. Screenshot is saved in my profile though. Cheers
    Régis

• Matthias Kuhn says:

Hi Régis,

The panel will be closed when either the first layer is added or a new project created.

I think the entries are saved in the registry on Windows?

On linux I have a QGIS2.conf file with entries in the following format:

recentProjects\1\title=/home/mku/Documents/qgep_de.qgs
      recentProjects\1\path=/home/mku/Documents/qgep_de.qgs
      recentProjects\1\previewImage=/home/mku/.qgis2///previewImages/32cba61c22af5fca3c7cdf262ad6e853.png

Can you check if similar entries are generated in the appropriate Windows-Format?

6. underdark says:

Very nice work! I wonder if it’s also possible to show this screen when the user closes a project by clicking the new project button. It would be a convenient way to swap to previously opened projects.

• Matthias Kuhn says:

It would be very nice to have the possibility to switch back to the welcome screen.
      I fear that it could be confusing to connect this to the “New Project” button. But at the same time I cannot see a better approach (adding yet another button to the cluttered toolbars may not be the best solution)

7. SLM66 says:

It’s a nice job. But how can i get this ? It’s a plugin you created ? How can i hve this on my qgis ?

• Matthias Kuhn says:

Hi, it’s core functionality which is currently in testing stage. It is included in any recent “development” (qgis-dev) version. It will be included in QGIS 2.12 which will be released later this autumn. So no need to manually install something, just wait for it to appear at your place.

1 Pings/Trackbacks for "QGIS Welcome Page"