QGIS on Android

Hi all, it is a pleasure to announce that I finally got Quantum GIS to start on an android (3.2) tablet (Asus transformer). I tested as well on a Samsung Galaxy phone with cyanogen mod 7 RC1 and it works a well (with the obvious screen size limitations).
Qgis still doesnt load many elements, but the gui is there and the rest should be only minor issues. I’ll post more as soon as i make further developments. Meanwhile, if you want to test the apk, you can download it from my github here. For building your own, have a look at qgis wiki

QGIS on ANDROID from Marco Bernasocchi on Vimeo.

Hope you enjoy
ciao Marco

Tagged with: , , , ,
Posted in Android QGIS, C++, GIS, GSoC 2011, QGIS
20 Comments » for QGIS on Android
  1. Anita Graser says:

Hi Marco,

Is there a second part of the video? It ends somewhere in the middle.

Best wishes,

• marco says:

not there yet :) first I need to get all the plugins and providers in, but good to see it starts. thanks for testing and i’ll post more soon

2. Elijah Meeks says:

Excellent work, Marco! I just installed it on my Xoom (HC 3.2, WiFi) and it works just as well as it does in your video. I can’t wait to see to get more functionality.

3. Fantastic! Congratulations. I look forward to seeing what comes next.

4. Joe Larson says:

I know this is probably more intended for tablets than phones, but I am having trouble installing this on a DroidX…App Manager>Details tab: “Could not open /mnt/sdcard/download/Qgis-debug.apk as APK file”. This is amazingly great progress!

• marco says:

Hi, it is more for tablets. BUT I did install it on my phone. Did u try redoenload? What android do u use? Ciao

5. Joe Larson says:

oops – appears I’m a few Android versions behind…that’s probably my problem, sorry. Excited to get this going & this now gives more reason to buy a tablet (for work).

6. Joe Larson says:

upgraded my DroidX to 2.3 Gingerbread and was able to install the .apk, it successfully installed Ministro. When I ran the Qgis application tried to installed the extra libraries to run – I had to force close. Very cool, but I can’t imagine how usable this would be on a phone anyway but wanted to share the progress.

7. Maurizio says:

Henrik same problems (08/17/2011 at 13:46
    ). tested on Samsung S2 galaxy.

8. Blammo says:

Very interesting. I just purchased a Toshiba Thrive Tablet. I’ll try out what you have already on it tonight. I would be glad to test for you as you add capabilities.

We also have a fairly sizable WMS catalog to consume when you get to that point for testing.

9. blammo says:

tried installing on toshiba thrive from github, got a “invalid package” error.

10. Brian says:

I downloaded the apk for my galaxy tab 10.1 and installed… it asked to install some QT libraries… during one of the qt library installs it crashed and started the library download over when i reopened qgis… seemed to finish second time around.

However, when I open qgis, all the menus/text are squares (like wingdings), maybe the language needs to be set to en???

Thx.

– Brian

• marco says:

Hi brian, i’s a known problem, as soon as i’ll be back in Switzerland (mid nov) I’ll look into it. meanhile u can report more infos here
      thanks

11. Fred says:

Hi, Marco, excellent!!!!
    Do you know how to emulate the ASUS TFT transformer GPS in the GPS panel?
    Impossible to autodetect, ttys0,1,2,3!!!! gpsd???
    Regards
    Fred

12. maxion says:

Your GPS-tracking looks nice! I would like to use Qgis on Adroid with exactly this tablet for an archaeological survey. Do you think this is possible? I am looking around for days for the right mobile GIS.
    As far as I know gvSIG mobile works, but its not possible to creat polygons with attributetables.
    GrassGIS on handhelds works on Ipaq but I have not heard of GPStracking.
    QGIS is great anyway but on your transformer its horny!

Are you able to creat/edit polygons and attributetables ?
    Is it possible to use GPS-position to creat polygons ?
    How long does the transformer work without power using Qgis?

I am excited.
    MAx

13. mramadeus says:

it successfully installed Ministro,but ministro do not use to installed the extra libraries to run

2 Pings/Trackbacks for "QGIS on Android"
  1. […] finns dock exempel på att detta kan förändras i framtiden. Exempelvis så har man lyckats köra QGIS på en Android […]